Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Possible Trigger Post - Cutting

Recently I learned that my youngest sister, who is still a teen, has begun cutting herself. The news is disturbing but I'm not as alarmed as others are. Maybe I should be but as I look into my experience with cutting as a teen, I see it not as a suicide attempt or even a true threat of suicide, but more as a desperate cry for help. A plea, to anyone who cares enough to look hard enough or even ask, for support and attention.
My cutting was discreet, small cuts, to the tips of my fingers. The tiny scars have long since healed and disappeared. I look back and know that I not only cut to be heard but I also cut to feel. I've read that this is true with many cutters.
I wonder what pain my sister is trying to express. This past year, she has experienced the suicides of two friends. I understand that that is definitely part of it. I also know that it took much more for me to start cutting. I can only hope that her pain isn't deeper than we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment