Thursday, February 25, 2010

Emotional IQ

There is a book about emotional intelligence that I read several years ago. It was recommended by my boss, evidently he had read it and found it helpful. Now, I know that I have the emotional IQ of a five year old. I will cry inconsolably at the worst times about things other people can probably just hold in.
Like the other day when I found out my company had removed my title as supervisor when I returned from maternity leave. It was ridiculous and unprofessional but I couldn't help it. I sat in the office trying to make my point and they trying to make theirs, and in the end I had to excuse myself not only from the meeting but from work because I was crying. My eyes were red, nose puffy, I just couldn't help myself. Thank goodness it was close to the end of the day.
My temper is not much better. It used to be so bad that I would just loose my temper not even knowing that I was nearly that upset. Over time I've learned the signs, such as slightly racing heart, holding my breath a little longer before exhales, clenching my teeth and the end all sensation that my head is about to explode and things go dark for a split second. It is at that point there is no going back.
And love... when I give it it is given with reckless abandon. Yes, I have huge trust issues and don't let people get close often but when I do I frequently think that person is Gods gift to earth, unable to do wrong. Somehow time after time I find myself hurt by these people, Gods gifts to earth.
Now, the true Gods gifts to earth... my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment