Sunday, February 21, 2010

Loss

In my life I've lost many people. Yet only one person have I lost to death. My earliest losses, of course, were that of my biological parents. Followed by my adoptive parents and brother, then the many friends and foster parents I grew close to while I was in the system. I'm still struggling to understand how this has effected me, this life of loss. I know that I have become controlling, distrusting and always holding back. Very few people know "the real me". Others see me as aloof and distant. Perhaps they believe that I think I'm better than them. It's only a shield. And I'm trying to take it down. I long for friendships like the ones I had as a child, yet I'm afraid to have them. Because, in my mind, everybody leaves someday.
Eventually I hope to prove myself wrong. I still have my husband and I know he loves me. Just as I know my daughter does and my son is learning to. Other family (the biological family I reunited with at the age of eighteen) still stands by me. I want to believe that they will not go away but lingering in my mind is the knowledge that, even if they don't choose to leave, we all die someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment