Monday, April 19, 2010

Current Drama - C-section birth

My son (M) was born via cesarean section in December of 09. It was an unexpected traumatic event that went from cervical ripening to induction to 9 hours of labor and ended in needing to have my babe cut from my belly because I wasn't progressing and his heart began to decelerate. During the surgery I could feel some of what they were doing and needed sedation. It was a bad time, one of the scariest and worst things I've ever been through (and that's saying something!).

My husband (B) was also in a bit of shock after and while he may have been physically in the hospital room with the baby and I, his mind was out the window. He just wasn't helpful. My mother in law ((K) came back to visit with my daughter (E) two days after my son was born. And all hell broke loose. Seeing my husband and I in the states we were in (specifically me), she went to the nurses and complained that there was something "wrong" with me and I needed help. In other words, I'm sure, she was afraid I was having a wicked mood swing. Which I wasn't. I was simply recovering from surgery, on a ton of pain meds, trying to take care of a baby while my husband just sat.
After my daughter told me what K told the nurses, I confronted K who promptly called E a liar.

A very short time later my mother in law told my daughter to go with her, they were leaving but E refused. K told my daughter that she would leave her in the hospital if she didn't go then. My momma bear welled up inside of me and told K that if she didn't take my daughter she wouldn't be seeing my son for a while either. At that, K told me that I couldn't use my son against her. Proceeded to tell me that while my husband is easy to love, I make it very difficult for people to love me. And proclaimed that women have c-sections every day (as if that made my c-section so much easier to bear). During this she's shaking her finger at me slowly walking closer and closer to my hospital bed as I ask her repeatedly to leave, telling her that her words are hurting me and as my husband just sat on the bed and watched. She finally left after I hit the nurse button.

So the situation (cesarean) was made so much worse and my therapy has been sidetracked to deal with this. I cannot find it in me to forgive her. It was all a terrible betrayal and the timing was so awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment